The Massachusetts Department of Public Health reported West Nile Virus has been detected in mosquitoes in Winthrop. The Winthrop Health Department has made arrangements with the Northeast Massachusetts Mosquito Control District for a town wide truck spraying which was to be done tonight, Wednesday, August 25, 2010 between 10:00PM to 2:00AM but has been RESCHEDULED due to the rain and weather conditions -- New date for town wide truck spraying is Monday, August 30, 2010 between 10:00PM to 2:00AM.
There are no significant risks to truck spraying. Safety precautions include:
- Shut all open windows facing the street during the hours of truck spraying
- Avoid walking pets during truck spraying
- Avoid mosquito bites
- Apply insect repellent when outdoors
- Remove areas of standing water around your home which can serve as breeding sites for mosquitoes
- Empty containers around your home that might collect water
- Swimming pools should be kept clean and properly chlorinated
Please call the Northeast Massachusetts Mosquito Control District at 978-463-6630 if you do not want your house sprayed, leave your name and address.
For more information on West Nile Virus, please check the Mass DPH website at http://www.mass.gov/dph
For more information on truck spraying, please contact the Northeast Massachusetts Mosquito Control & Wetlands Management District at 978-463-6630 and the Winthrop Board of Health at 617-846-1740.
Winthrop Board of Health