Town Wide Mosquito Control Spraying
Monday July 26, 2010
10:00pm to 12 Midnight
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health reported West Nile Virus has been detected in mosquitoes in Winthrop. The Winthrop Health Department has made arrangements with the Northeast Massachusetts Mosquito Control District for a town wide truck spraying to be done on Monday, July 26, 2010 between 10:00PM to 12:00AM.
There are no significant risks to truck spraying. Safety precautions include:
- Avoid mosquito bites
- Apply insect repellent when outdoors
- Shut all open windows facing the street during the hours of truck spraying
- Avoid walking pets during truck spraying
- Remove areas of standing water around your home which can serve as breeding sites for mosquitoes
- Empty containers around your home that might collect water
- Swimming pools should be kept clean and properly chlorinated
For more information on West Nile Virus, please check the Mass DPH website at www.mass.gov/dph
For more information on truck spraying, please contact the Northeast Massachusetts Mosquito Control & Wetlands Management District at 978-463-6630 and the Winthrop Board of Health at 617-846-1740.
To download and print our Public Health Fact Sheet regarding West Nile Virus, click here.
Winthrop Board of Health